Friday, May 3, 2013

Update on Action Research


I love having a blog because I feel like I can get a lot of feedback from people who are interested and following my topic. Many ideas are shared and people can provide information about their experiences if they have ever seen or done something like you are sharing. I had two people who wrote comments to me that I feel would be beneficial to my action research.
Meghan Van Vossen said: "I had another thought. Would it make sense for the recommending teacher to be the mentor? They would hav already built an educational relationship. A 3rd grade teacher could reccommend a student from this year and she will mentor them during their 4th grade year. Does that make sense?"
I think this is a great idea. I hadn’t yet thought of how I was going to pick who would mentor each student. Having someone who already has a relationship with that student could be very beneficial to building a good relationship and getting a lot accomplished early on. This person would already know so much about the student and be able to help them grow more than a stranger may.
She McCord also brought up a good point: “I love this idea. I have seen a model like this be successful at my former school - the students were chose based on data received from their previous year's TAKS/STAAR test. How are you going to pair the mentor and the student? And will the mentors be teachers at your school?”
I have thought about what if I do not have enough teachers volunteer. When she asked will all the mentors be teachers it made me think, they do not all have to be teachers. I could maybe get some PTO parent volunteers or other office staff to help if we have more kid applicants than teachers who volunteer. It will all depend on how many students teachers select for this program.

Thank you to everyone who is following and commenting on my blog! I really appreciate all the feedback :)

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I think that having a teacher who has built a relationship with the student being their mentor is a great idea! I don't see how it could be a bad think unless you think they may influence the results of your plan. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your blogs are really good and show a lot of thorough research. I don't see nothing wrong with teachers being mentors because teachers are already mentors and know the basics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you got some great feedback that you were able to use and reflect on. I think you have some great ideas. Teachers make great mentors, I feel though if you use teachers as the mentors that they all be teachers from the students' previous year so your results are not affected by having different types of mentors. Looks like you have a great plan!! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete